Rss

Archives for : EOS500D

Summer 2011

Some pictures from last summer. As you can see I'm not the fastest guy to edit & publish pictures.

LED Ring testing, again

I modified my DIY LED ring so that I can use a 3S LiPo battery as the power source instead of the 9V battery I was using before. This gives me more light as a fully charged 3S LiPo has a typical voltage of 3x4.2V =12.6V. Testing confirmed that the light was much brighter with the new power source. Obviously I had to test the light so I took a couple of shots of my Access Music Virus TI Snow synth module.  

Dead Wasp Wallpaper + Updated Gallery

Two things. I've upgraded my blog to use the NextGEN Gallery plugin. This makes browsing through the pics a breeze. Note that this won't affect older posts, they'll still suck. But starting from this post things are getting better. Below you'll find a new wallpaper I did. The picture is taken on my back yard after heavy rain. This wasp had curled inside a crocs shoe for cover but had still perished. It looked so sad that I decided to take a picture of the thing and edit it a little bit. I changed the crocs from puprle to gray to pop out the wasp. I also used Lightroom's magic brush functionality to boost the brightness of the bee and fade out the background. This was a very quick'n'dirty sort of deal and I'm sure using real Photoshop I could have gotten a better result. But I don't have Photoshop and I LOVE Lightroom so this will have to do.

dead_wasp

Picture 1 of 1

Latte Art Part I

It has been a while since the last update so here goes. Below are some of my latte art attempts: a heart and a modified rosetta of sorts.

Walk in the Park II

We went to the same park again and I took some pictures. I took shots of flies and a spider. Oh and there is one "drop of water on a leaf" shot that is as big a cliché as I am.

Using LED rings for lighting

I recently bought some LED rings from Dealextreme and built a DIY LED ringlight with them. I attached two different rings to a CD case using hotglue. The CD case was made of translucent plastic so I sanded the cover plastic to give it a nice and smooth texture. This way the cover works as a sort of diffuser. I still need to cut a hole into the CD case to make it attachable to a cheap UV filter I also bought from Dealextreme. Another idea I got was that I should build two of these ring sets and find a way to attach them to some stiff but flexible "arms". That way I could achieve similar lighting possibilities that Canon's professional macro flash MT-24 EX offers. Anyway, even with just one ring you can achieve pretty good results. I took some photos of different toys: Turtles, Littlest Pet Shop figures and Luigi from Super Mario Kart. Pics below. I've edited these all slightly. I wanted to have rich and full colours so I increased the vibrance and saturation ever so slightly. It's amazing how much dust these things gather. You cannot see it with your naked eye under normal conditions but with a macro lens shot from a short distance the crap these things gather becomes obvious. Luigi really should wash his face more often! I removed the biggest dust particles using Lightroom's spot removal tool. I also used the tool to fix some spots that were missing paint in the toys. I power the LED ring with a 9V rechargeable NiMH battery but I have plans to add a connector for a 3-cell LiPo battery. This way I will get more voltage which will result in more brightness from the LEDs. I have yet to try this light when shooting insects. I'm not sure the intensity of the light is enough, at least not for fast moving insects. For stationary guys maybe, we'll see.

Walk in the park

I went for a little walk into the park with my family the other day and took some macro shots with my EF-S 60mm. I've got one photo of some sort of beetle that I do not recognize, one picture of a fly and a couple of shots of a hoverfly. Enjoy! All images are slightly edited in Lightroom. The most heavily manipulated is the fly shot. The fly is black so it did not reflect as much light back from the flash as the surroundings. I used the tone curves in Lightroom to tone down the yellow flower and lighten the dark fly. The details of the fly are more evident after this tweak. The rest of the pictures have basic after editing done to them: cropping, some exposure and color tuning and that's it.